Class of 2015 Outcomes: Patti Suchan Masters Accounting

Name: Patti Suchan

Hometown: High Point, North Carolina

Major: Suchan graduated with a B.S.B.A. in Accounting, with a minor in Computer Science, on May 9.

Post-graduation plans: Suchan will attend graduate school at the University of Notre Dame to pursue a Master of Science in Accountancy. Suchan is also studying for the CPA exam and will take all four sections by the end of this summer.  After receiving her master’s degree from Notre Dame, she hopes to work as an auditor for a public accounting firm and eventually transition to work as a forensic accountant.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University has helped me prepare for my future in many ways. From my first accounting class with Dr. Premalata Sundaram, I knew I needed to be an accounting major. The Meet the Firms night that the School of Business holds for accounting students helped me get two internships. Ms. Marnie Matthews connected me to an opportunity to attend the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners conference, which solidified my dream to work in that area of accounting.

Career and Internship Services has also been a great resource for me. I went to Career and Internship Services as a lost second semester freshman with doubts about my choice of major, which at the time was just business administration. I utilized Career and Internship Services when applying to graduate programs to have my personal statements reviewed. And most importantly, a partnership between the Accounting Department and Career and Internship Services allowed me to intern full-time for credit this semester to satisfy my capstone requirement.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “This question is such a hard one. So many faculty members have had a hand in shaping my four years at HPU, my successes, and my dreams for the future. Not a single accounting student can reach graduation and not acknowledge that they have been forever changed by Professor Scott Davis. His class is so challenging, but in the best possible way. It makes you think like a real accountant and be best prepared for work in the field and the CPA exam. But I also cannot fail to mention my advisor, Dr. Ross Roberts. Dr. Roberts has been there to help me navigate through my major, my minor and the honors program, but has also been there to talk about life and school in general.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “I think one of the best things I have been able to do this year is work with freshmen who want to be accounting majors. I was working with one student recently who wanted some guidance choosing classes for next year. Not only were we able to figure out her schedule for next semester, but we also created an action plan for the rest of her time at HPU so that she can complete both a major and minor and still have a semester-long internship. Using knowledge of my major to help those coming behind me is so gratifying because I know my time at HPU has been about more than myself.”

Advice for underclassmen: “I have two pieces of advice that can be summarized in one statement: make great relationships. Students should build personal relationships with their professors, especially their advisor. You will learn more by talking with these esteemed members of our campus community, and they will get to know you better. There may come a time when you need a letter of recommendation, or when a professor is independently asked by a company to recommend a student for a job, and if you have a relationship with your professors they will be overflowing with positive things to say about you and your character. The second part of this advice is to build a relationship with at least one older student in your intended major. A student who is taking the classes that you will need to graduate, and who is searching for the type of job you want in the future, can provide tips and tricks to having the best educational experience, and may help you land a job in the future.”