Class of 2015 Profile: Andrea Perreault Works Toward Biology Doctorate

Name: Andrea Perreault

Hometown: Branchburg, New Jersey

Major: Perreault graduated with degrees in Biology and Mathematics on May 9.

Post-graduation plans: Perreault will attend graduate school at Vanderbilt University to pursue a Ph.D in Quantitative and Chemical Biology.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU prepared me for graduate school by providing challenging coursework and professors who were always available for help. The courses I took for my two majors, and my general education classes, challenged me to think critically and form my own way of problem solving. Professors for these classes were always willing to meet with me about questions and discuss topics from class. HPU helped me become confident in my abilities and develop skills to effectively present my ideas and opinions.

I used Career & Internship Services to clean up my resume and CV during the application process. They were very knowledgeable and gave me all the resources I needed to get started. We sat down and went through both documents to fix formatting and wording. I felt confident that my resume and CV were accurate representations of me and my work.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Lindsay Piechnik took over as my research advisor when my previous advisor left HPU. She knew nothing about my research topic, but worked hard to understand and be supportive. She was able to set up a meeting with our collaborator at Columbia Medical Center, where we discussed our independent projects that would eventually come together. Dr. Piechnik has supported me in every way and has gone above and beyond when it comes to being a research advisor.

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Being accepted into the University Ambassador program. Being an Ambassador, I was the first person a prospective student and their family met. My tour could make or break their decision to apply or attend High Point University. I love the values taught at HPU and the philosophy we hold on campus, and I wanted to share this with visiting families. Seeing high school students smiling ear to ear after a tour or emailing me their thanks is extremely rewarding. As I went through my weekly tour and shared information about HPU, it reaffirmed that I have been so lucky to attend such an incredible university.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Don’t be afraid to ask questions and meet with professors. Everyone knows someone that could result in a life-changing connection. Anything you want to achieve is possible if you take advantage of all the resources and opportunities we have at HPU.”