Class of 2015 Profile: Ben May Secures Research Career

Name: Ben May

Hometown: Asheville, North Carolina

Major: May graduated with degrees in both Math and Physics, with a minor in Computer Science, on May 9.

Post-graduation plans: May accepted a position as a research associate for Bellomy Research, Inc. in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. In his position, May checks data for quality assurance, creates/edits presentations and proposals, and more.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU helped me realize my potential and encouraged me to dream big. During my freshman year, I wasn’t sure what I wanted to get involved in around campus, but HPU encourages all students to be involved, so that’s what I did. Through the various clubs and organizations that I was a part of, I began to truly develop my character. This involvement showed me the skills I possessed, and what I could do with them. If I was at another institution, I don’t think I would have gotten this same attention, and I know I wouldn’t be where I am today if that was the case.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Lindsay Piechnik was my most impactful mentor at HPU. I first had Dr. Piechnik as my professor during my sophomore year for Introduction to Mathematical Thought. Throughout the course of that semester I began to connect with Dr. Piechnik and I soon realized how helpful she could be for me. Around this time, I was worrying about what I would do with a math degree once I graduated. I decided to attend Dr. Peichnik’s office hours one night to see if she had any guidance for me. Dr. Piechnik sat and talked with me for well over an hour about all the opportunities that I would have as a math major graduating from HPU. She pulled up job descriptions and job postings, and assured me that she would help me in any way she could once I made it to my senior year. After this meeting I spent more time in Dr. Piechnik’s office, she served as my undergraduate research advisor, and she was a huge help when it came to looking for a job. Dr. Piechnik encouraged me, told me I was good enough when I didn’t think I was, and she was also one of the most challenging, yet most helpful professor I had at HPU.

Most impactful moment at HPU: “It’s hard to think of the one single moment that was most impactful for me at HPU, because there were so many! It seemed like every day I was learning more about myself and growing into the person I am today. If I had to narrow it down, the most impactful moment I had at HPU was when I traveled with the HPU Club swim team to Atlanta, GA for the East Coast Club Championship swim meet my freshman year. During this weekend I made so many memories that I will always cherish. The swim team at HPU was my second family, and I enjoyed all the time I spent with them!”

Advice for underclassmen: “Get involved! It’s important to stay involved around campus, while also keeping up with your schoolwork. Some people are convinced that GPA doesn’t matter, but a high GPA will ALWAYS look impressive when it comes to looking for a job or applying for graduate school. Also, take time for yourself and have fun.