Class of 2015 Outcomes: Cole Gibson Pursues Master’s in Library Science

Name: Cole Gibson

Hometown: Pilot Mountain, North Carolina

Major: Gibson graduated with a B.A. in English Literature, with a minor in History, on May 9.

Post-graduation plans: Gibson will pursue a Master of Science in Library Science at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Information and Library Science. After earning his master’s degree, Gibson plans to seek a career in an academic library.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University is full of professors and faculty that will work with you in order to help you achieve your goals beyond the classroom. I have met inspiring people who have helped to further a desire to not only better myself but to create a better environment for all those around you. The commitment I have learned from my professors will continue to influence not only my work attitude but an attitude that will benefit me in any endeavor I may pursue.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at High Point would be Dr. Kirstin Squint. As someone who had an interest in both English and Library Science, she would often push me to go beyond my own reservations, whether this was in the classroom or with my own desires for my future.

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at High Point University was also one of my first. I was meeting my professors for the first time at a Q&A session and this was where I met Dr. Squint for the first time. In my very first communication with her, she not only convinced me that I was in the right place to pursue my degree but that I also would find the tools that I needed to build myself into a successful student and individual.”

Advice for underclassmen: “The greatest lesson I have learned from High Point is that no matter what your goal may be, there are individuals everywhere that can help you obtain them. When you reach out into our community you will be astounded by the support that you will find. Ask your professors, staff members, or other faculty for help and they will do all that they can to support your goals.”