Class of 2015 Outcomes: Erin Karpovich Enlists as AmeriCorps VISTA

HPU High Point University

Name: Erin Karpovich

Hometown: Ramsey, New Jersey

Major: Karpovich graduated with a B.A. in Human Relations, with minors in Spanish, Nonprofit Leadership & Management and Leadership, on May 9.

Post-graduation plans: Karpovich accepted a position as a North Carolina Campus Compact AmeriCorps VISTA. In her position, Karpovich will work with both a nonprofit organization in High Point, as well as HPU, to develop partnerships and address local needs relating to food security. Her projects, which will continue the work of previous VISTAS, will help organizations increase effectiveness, and encourage student leadership and engagement in service with the goal of supporting and strengthening communities.

How HPU helped you get there: “Early on my freshman year, I signed up for a service project. From there, I never looked back. I enrolled in a service learning course and took part in the Volunteer Center‘s Alternative Break Programs. With my studies based in the Department of Human Relations, Sociology and Nonprofit Studies as well as experiential learning opportunities in the field, my knowledge base grew to hold a thorough understanding of so many of the concepts present in human services and within community programs.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “It is hard for me to choose just one person who has impacted me. I am thankful for the many people I have met and engaged with during my time at High Point University and truly believe everyone comes into your life for a reason. They also serve as someone we can both teach and learn from. The institution as a whole has taught me in indirect ways to always strive to go the extra mile and produce extraordinary work. I have done my best to be intentional and meaningful with my thoughts, actions, words and impact.

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Viewing the sunrise from the top of the Wanek Center during my last week at High Point University was one of the most beautiful scenes I witnessed as a student. The Class of 2015 gathered early one morning and huddled together in the cold, regardless of whether we were close friends or meeting for the first time. It forced me to slow down and take a deep breath, giving thanks for my time at High Point University and the beauty that surrounds us in life. It was a powerful and truly beautiful morning.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Never underestimate the power of walking up to someone and striking up a conversation. Networking is such a powerful thing but remember to be genuine during the process. Give thanks always, show appreciation to all and celebrate in the joy of others.”