Class of 2015 Profile: Greyson Whitaker Seeks Law Degree

Name: Greyson Whitaker

Hometown: Wingate, North Carolina

Major: Whitaker graduated a year early with a B.A. in Mathematics, with minors in Computer Science and Criminal Justice, on May 9.

Post-graduation plans: Whitaker will attend law school at the North Carolina Central University School of Law in Durham, North Carolina. After he receives his Juris Doctor in 2018, Whitaker plans to take the bar exam to become an attorney to practice law in North Carolina.

How HPU helped you get there: “Where and how do I begin to describe how HPU helped prepare me for life post-graduation? The people at High Point University have taught me incredible skills and life lessons. Being Student Body President has been a humbling experience that has allowed me to connect with students to talk with them one-on-one to hear their perspectives of the university and to meet with administrators to discuss the students’ perspectives, ultimately enhancing my communication skills. Professor Scott Ingram and Dr. Donna Scheidt have been very helpful with preparations and advice for law school and the LSAT. Dr. Qubein’s freshmen and senior seminars have also been excellent motivations to work hard and study hard because he emphasized how it can lead to great success and significance.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Paul Kittle, Assistant VP of Student Life and Dean of Students, has certainly been my most impactful mentor and friend at High Point University. Dr. Kittle has been my advisor for SGA for two years and I know I can take any issue I have to him and he will talk me through it rationally and logically while maintaining a calm attitude and friendly demeanor. No matter what time of day it is I know I can walk up to his office in Student Life and talk with him – oftentimes a five minute question can turn into a thirty minute conversation – which goes to show how effective he is with communicating with students on campus.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “When my grandfather passed away March of this year, I was overwhelmed with an outpouring of love and support from so many different people and offices on campus in countless ways. From receiving cards just hours after notifying the university, to personal phone calls from administrators and professors, I will always remember that day as the day I truly realized and understood the third part of the HPU mission statement. The people at High Point University are truly caring about each and every student. I am thankful for the love and support I’ve received from the faculty and staff at HPU.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Dr. Qubein is right when he says that it is crucial to have a balance in your life with all of your different activities and commitments. I’ve learned that even though I should not let anything be prioritized higher than my academics, it is important to relax and have fun so I do not get overwhelmed with one aspect of my life. It’s imperative to have that balance between all spheres of your life while at HPU. Being able to manage that balance can seem daunting, but it is possible!”