Class of 2015 Profile: Jacob Foster Forges a Future in Ministry

Name: Jacob Foster

Hometown: Concord, North Carolina

Major: Foster graduated with a B.A. in Political Science, with a minor in English Writing, on May 9.

Post-graduation plans: Foster will attend graduate school at Boston University to pursue his Master of Divinity. Following that, he plans to enter law school to create a form of nontraditional ministry – possibly as counsel to a hospital or prison – where he may serve on the ethics board to fight for justice in a clinical environment.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point’s liberal arts approach was really helpful for me finding my path. I came here as an education major, but had a change of heart early on. This university provided space for me to explore possibilities. I thought I would like a career in politics and I was given the connections to get an internship with a United States Senator. I then thought about ministry and was provided with the resources to get involved with that field. I liked that I was not bound to one trajectory and had freedom to try out a lot of fields so I could find the perfect fit.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “It is so hard to answer that question when High Point is studded with such passionate faculty. My personal standout is our provost, Dennis Carroll. He is a man that oversees the education of thousands of students, yet he manages to make each one feel noticed and important. He actually wrote my recommendation letter to Boston University and I plan to work hard in life to show that I did not take his belief in me for granted.

Most impactful moment at HPU: “One morning I sat down in my religion course and started talking to the student next to me named Sydney Anderson before class began. I was going through a rough patch freshman year. I had just lost my dad immediately before starting college and had a hard time transitioning. It was largely in part due to her friendship that I got through it. We are incredibly different people and from an outside glance we probably seem like an unlikely pair, but we find it to be one of the most natural friendships in the world. Meeting her led me to gaining the confidence to move onward. It is one of those friendships that you are simply grateful for each little coincidence that led up to your meeting. The friendships I made here will last a lifetime.

Advice for underclassmen: “Try not to fret on the big picture. Wake up each day and just do your very best with the tasks at hand. A successful life is composed of many successful days strung together.