Class of 2015 Profile: Meka Timlic Launches Future at AT&T

Name: Meka Timlic

Hometown: Durham, North Carolina

Major: Timlic graduated with a B.S.B.A. in Business Administration on May 9.

Post-graduation plans: Timlic accepted a position as an Associate Service Manager at AT&T’s headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia. Timlic previously completed six internships while at HPU, including one during which she shadowed AT&T’s corporate vice president of human relations and diversity, Cynthia Marshall.

How HPU helped you get there: “I came to High Point University with a determination to live by its motto: Be extraordinary. High Point gave all the business majors not only an amazing program, but also the perfect environment. Being surrounded with such sophisticated technology at our grasp gave me a competitive edge when competing with other candidates for internships and work experience opportunities. I was awarded a sales internship opportunity with Duke University due to my interviewing skills I learned within the business program.

Career and Internship Services were a big factor in my internship and job search over the past four years. I remember Bridget Holcombe coming to one of my classes my freshman year to speak about the Career & Internship Services offices. Following her presentation, I immediately set an appointment to work on my first resume. I’ll never forget Jen Paolino’s emails about different internship and job opportunities happening right here in the Triad. Having High Point provide such amazing resources like this office made the world of a difference in my job searches.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Susan Brien. From the first time I heard her speak at our business fraternity event I knew I had to meet with her. I’ll be honest: Susan does not beat around the bush. She’s caring, honest and will tell you like it is (respectfully of course). At the beginning of my senior year I had no idea what I wanted to do after college. With already completing six different sales and marketing internships, I assumed that that was the field I wanted to go into. I can’t thank Susan Brien enough for being so patient with me. The various meetings with her helped me realize what I wanted to do after graduation. I wanted to work with people – more specially in the customer service division of a company. Now, working for a Fortune 500 company and one of the top three telecommunications companies in the world, I hope to make a difference in others’ lives by rethinking the possible one day at a time. She really is an amazing counselor and I’m so grateful I took her advice!

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Studying abroad in Florence, Italy for a semester gave me a new outlook on public relations and marketing. Through being immersed in a new culture it forced me to adapt to a new way of interpreting and presenting a product. Each day I would walk by various advertisements in the city as well as different sales tactics of each store near the Pontè Vecchio. I took various marketing courses finishing my marketing minor at Florence University of the Arts. This lead me to be able to not only know and understand the difference between European and American marketing tactics, but to be able to immerse them into my culture as well. In my initial interview for my job at AT&T, I was asked many questions about my time in Europe and what I have learned while I was there, but more specifically, how I believe it has and will help me become a better sales associate. I highly encourage every student to see what else is out there in the world. Study abroad!”

Advice for underclassmen: “At the end of the day, we’re all here for one thing: an education. Don’t ever let the little things keep you from seeing the bigger picture. As Dr. Qubein says, ‘You can’t just be successful; you must now be significant.’ Don’t ever let anyone stop you from showing your significance in this world. Take chances, be extraordinary. Prove them wrong, and always be better than great.