Class of 2015 Outcomes: Sarah Belle Tate Leads High Point Chamber of Commerce

With another successful commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary graduate from the Class of 2015:

Name: Sarah Belle Tate

Hometown: Greensboro, North Carolina

Major: Tate graduated with a master’s degree in Strategic Communication on May 9. She previously received her B.A. in Communication from HPU in 2014.

Post-graduation plans: Tate accepted a position as the Director of Communications and Community Relations for the High Point Chamber of Commerce. In her position, Tate handles all communication for the Chamber, including content and layout development for the annual High Point Magazines and Membership Directories. Tate also writes press releases, manages social media accounts, creates bi-weekly e-grams for members and coordinates events with her colleagues.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU helped prepare me for my career in communications by providing a comprehensive education and introduction to the communications field. I took a wide variety of classes – from PR to advertising to research methods to digital imaging to internships – all of which made me an experienced, knowledgeable, relevant and therefore, desirable job candidate. In fact, it was through my internship at Wells Fargo Advisors during my graduate studies that made me fall in love with High Point as a city and created my desire to stay in the community.

Most impactful mentor/moment at HPU: “My impactful mentor and moment at HPU go hand-in-hand. During my junior year, I went to see Dr. Viginia McDermott for what I thought was just a regular mid-term check in; but it was at that meeting that she put an application for grad school in my hands. Never before had I considered an elevated degree; but she saw a potential in me that I didn’t even see in myself. Dr. McDermott proceeded to lead and mentor me through grad school showing me all of which I was capable.

Advice for underclassmen: “Do work you’re proud of; take every opportunity that comes your way to develop your professional skills and experience. Also, get plugged into the High Point community by volunteering through the many great organizations here such as the YWCA, United Way for Greater High Point, Salvation Army, and of course, with the HP Chamber!