Class of 2015 Profile: Seth Spencer Finds His Future in Accounting

Name: Seth Spencer

Hometown: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

Major: Spencer graduated with a B.S.B.A. in Accounting on May 9.

Post-graduation plans: Spencer will attend graduate school through North Carolina State University’s Master of Accountancy program. While pursuing his master’s, Spencer will also take the CPA exam. After receiving his degree, Spencer plans to work for a Big Four accounting firm in the Charlotte, North Carolina area.

How HPU helped you get there: “My accounting professors taught the material in a way that I could directly apply to the workplace. The environment they created mimicked real-world accounting scenarios. This kind of atmosphere has made my fellow accounting majors and me desirable among some of the finest accounting firms and preeminent graduate schools in the nation.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Professor George Noxon and Dr. Premalata Sundaram. Both professors took the time to discuss my future plans and offered strategic advice for my professional career.

Most impactful moment at HPU: “I can not think of one moment in particular that was impactful. However, every day I had the opportunity to walk across a beautiful campus; go in and out of buildings that looked like they belonged in magazines; interact with professors that prepared me for a professional career; and learn from a Lebanese immigrant (HPU President Dr. Nido Qubein) that anything worth doing is worth doing with excellence.”

Advice for underclassmen: “For students in the accounting major, do as well as possible in the beginning classes and to persevere through the upper-level classes. Do not give up or be discouraged! It will become more difficult before it becomes easier. Be sure to communicate with your professors. They desire to see you succeed. For all freshmen, do not waste your time trying to find a friend group or getting a certain person’s attention. Embrace and be confident in who you are. People will gravitate towards you.”