Sophomore Interns with Christ United Methodist Church

HIGH POINT, N.C., July 16, 2015 – High Point University sophomore Robert Collier recently began a yearlong internship with Christ United Methodist Church that will immerse him in ministry and help him understand his future calling.

Collier, a philosophy major from Statesville, is one of two HPU students participating in ministry internships with local churches this school year. The experience is made possible by a grant from the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry of the United Methodist Church to help young adults explore their calling to ministry.

During his internship, Collier will shadow the ministers and participate in church outreach, including assisting with the elderly and youth ministries. He is already actively involved, visiting church members who are in the hospital and serving as a leader at Vacation Bible School. He will also prepare and deliver several sermons throughout the year.

Collier says the internship will give him the opportunity to explore the direction of ministry his life will take while building on what he is learning as a student at HPU.

“While the fundamentals of traditional ministry intrigue my interests, I see myself on a path to obtain a theological studies degree and eventually a doctorate in New Testament Studies,” Collier says. “Currently, I see myself pursuing a career as a Christian philosopher, which could lead me to being an author, professor and evangelist.”