Class of 2015 Outcomes: Brandon Hubschman Designs in Florida

Name: Brandon Hubschman

Hometown: Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Major: Hubschman graduated with a B.A. in Graphic Design on May 9.

Post-graduation plans: Hubschman accepted a position as a graphic designer at Zimmerman Advertising, the 14th largest advertising agency in the country. He will be working with the Nissan team, the company’s largest client, on designing print and digital advertising as well as other media including commercials.

How HPU helped you get there: “Most would think I have been doing graphic design my entire life. While that may be true for other realms of art like painting and drawing, I never once took to the computer to create art until while at High Point University. HPU provided me with the mindset to reach beyond my comfort zone and delve into new ideas, as well as having the state-of-the-art resources to accompany such.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “I wouldn’t be able to choose just one. Instead, I believe that title would be shared amongst the teachers who pushed me into thinking differently, no matter the subject. Those include Alan Beaver, Benita Van Winkle, Janis Dougherty, and Dr. Josh Fisher.

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment, other than possibly graduation, would have to be the Art & Design department’s trip to New York City. Myself along with some of the other of the top art students had the chance to visit some of the top design and advertising agencies in the world including RG/A, Pentagram and Google, just to name a few. Seeing the environments where some of the most famous design work to ever hit the field was created and continues to be birthed was fascinating. I relate the experience with impact because it gave me a concrete idea of where I wanted to take my talent, and gave me that much more drive to reach the top of the design field and see just how far I could go in the industry.

Advice for underclassmen: “If I had one piece of advice to the underclassmen at High Point University, it would be a simple message: ‘average’ is a terrible word. Average is boing, average is complacent, and in no context is average ever intriguing. Whether it comes to preparing breakfast, choosing the clothes you’ll wear for the day, or working on a class project, nothing should be average. If you continue to push yourself in ever aspect of your life to separate yourself from the word and what it stands for, you will discover what you’re truly cable of.