Class of 2015 Outcomes: John Pattillo Stage Manages at ESPNU

Name: John Pattillo

Hometown: Atlanta, Georgia

Major: Pattillo graduated with a B.A. in Communication, with a concentration in Electronic Media Production, on May 9.

Post-graduation plans: Pattillo accepted a position as a stage manager for ESPNU in Charlotte, North Carolina. In his position, Pattillo coordinates all talent, anchors and hosts to ensure they are camera ready at all times. He also stage manages several shows on ESPNU and the SEC Network.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU helped me understand that by hard work and dedication, I will be able to achieve my goals and passions. HPU also provided a state-of-the-art broadcast studio where I had superior experiences that will easily transform into my work place at ESPNU studios. Outside the classroom, I developed life-long friends and gained so much confidence in myself.

In the Career office, Kellie McLeod helped me write cover letters, make a resume and LinkedIn. She was a huge help in recommending places to work, how to get my foot in the door, and giving me leads. Eric later helped me by revising my resume, LinkedIn and cover letter that best suited my application for ESPNU.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “I had Dr. Jim Trammell for four classes: Video Production I and II, Sports Production and Senior Production. He was very enthusiastic and had a passion for sports as I do. He was also a great encourager to me in many ways. His feedback on my projects was very healthy and pushed me to the next level. He believed in me.

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The most impactful moment was when I produced my first show in the broadcast studio. I realized then, this was indeed my passion, and it gave me great confidence.

Advice for underclassmen: “Set a daily schedule and be very disciplined with your study habits. Always make academics your priority and study at a place where there are minimal distractions.