Class of 2015 Outcomes: Joseph Kilar Steers Second Harvest Food Bank

Name: Joseph Kilar

Hometown: Kernersville, North Carolina

Major: Kilar graduated with a B.A. in Nonprofit Leadership and Management, with a minor in Human Relations, in December.

Post-graduation plans: After graduating a semester early, Kilar accepted a position as the food coordinator at Second Harvest Food Bank for Northwest North Carolina in Winston-Salem. In his position, Kilar is responsible for community outreach and encouraging the public to donate food and money to the organization.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU’s environment as a whole – from the caring people, to the inspiring campus – helped prepare me to do everything I needed once I graduated. Within my major specifically, everything I learned was very applicable to real-world situations.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Pamela Palmer and Dr. David Bergen were my advisors throughout everything. They really represented the university well, and they represented their departments well, too. Both Dr. Palmer and Dr. Bergen were very friendly and truly cared about my success. All my professors wanted to ensure that we as students did well in our classes, and were especially supportive during my practicum and internships.

Most impactful moment at HPU: “There were two things about HPU that I found really impactful. The first happened my freshman year. When I first came to campus, I felt out of place; it seemed like everyone else wasn’t from North Carolina like I was. But throughout the first few days and weeks, there was an assimilation of everyone coming together. No matter where we were from, we found out that we were all very similar. Everyone was very caring.

My second impactful moment came my last year at HPU, when I had to give a big presentation and write a large research paper on everything I had learned. My particular topic was about volunteerism, and how nonprofits should use the strengths of each volunteer to find a perfect spot for them within the organization. We gave our presentations in front of other students, faculty and professionals in the field. Giving that presentation made me feel good about myself and the education I received at HPU, because I received positive feedback from people I didn’t even know.”

Advice for underclassmen: “To start, I’d suggest reading through the Class of 2015 Profiles to see what advice other recent graduates have said. Other than that, do whatever makes you happy. To me, that’s really what success is about – job happiness and life happiness. Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t do anything. And surround yourself with positive people.