Class of 2015 Outcomes: Kristin Heldt Designs in Illinois

Name: Kristin Heldt

Hometown: Frankfort, Illinois

Major: Heldt graduated with a B.A. in Graphic Design and Digital Imaging on May 9.

Post-graduation plans: Heldt accepted a position as a graphic design and social media coordinator at Ozinga, a construction service and supply company in Mokena, Illinois. In her position, Heldt is responsible for designing marketing collateral, maintaining brand consistency, creating daily content for social media channels, assisting with photography/videography needs and more.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU helped me find myself and figure out who I wanted to be. I knew that I had a love for art, but I wasn’t sure what type of career was going to be available for me where I could be surrounded by my passion every day. Mrs. Benita VanWinkle really helped me in my path to declare my major.

I also met with Career & Internship Service. What really helped me to gain experience were my two internships on campus (Communications and the Athletic Communications Department) and the virtual one that I landed going into my senior year. All three gave me the experience that I need to prepare for a real life job.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “I wouldn’t say that I had one most impactful mentor at HPU, but I did become close with many people there who have helped shaped who I am today. My volleyball coaches Jason Oliver, Stephanie Ross and Jake Hong really helped me with anything that I needed and were always there for advice. I became very close with Joe Christy, who announced our games, over the years, and he has now became a close friend of mine. I knew that I want to surround myself with people who believed in me and supported me. Between my coaches, advisors and Joe, I had that every day, and I will forever be grateful for the lessons that they taught me while trying to balance being a full time student-athlete and trying to get my foot in the door with companies.

I just want to thank every one who made an impact on my experience at HPU and helped me out in any way that they could. Thank you Nido for creating an atmosphere where I could be successful, and wake up grateful for everything that HPU provided me to make my college experience something that most people couldn’t even dream about.

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU didn’t happen in one day; it was all of the four years combined, and looking back and remembering everything that HPU gave me. I would have never been able to go here and experience everything that I did if one man hadn’t believed in me as much as he did (my coach Jason). I am so grateful and blessed that I had the chance to represent my school and continue to do so after I have graduated. I am proud to tell people about HPU, the volleyball program, and the caring people who want nothing more than to watch you succeed. That’s everything that a freshman needs when going away to college.

Advice for underclassmen: “Be grateful for what God has given you, for what you have and don’t have. Surround yourself with supportive people who believe in you. Pass kindness on and don’t get so wrapped up in life that you forget that beauty is around you. Be proud of your school and the show the rest of the world that they should care about High Point University. Never settle for anything; if you want something, work at it every day and go get it! Start applying for jobs the first semester of your senior year so you can practice interviewing. It’s never too early to have a resume. Don’t pass up an opportunity to get an internship; even if you’re not sure that’s what you want to do with your life, it may be the chance to find out.