Class of 2015 Outcomes: Nolan Stout Writes His Own Future

Name: Nolan Stout

Hometown: Siler City, North Carolina

Major: Stout graduated with a B.A. in Journalism and a B.A. in History on May 9.

Post-graduation plans: Stout accepted a position as a reporter at the Daily News-Record in Harrisonburg, Virginia. In his position, Stout will cover breaking news for the paper.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University was a great help by connecting me with a Career & Internship Service office that introduced me to the people who would allow me to get field experience. They were also essential in resume building and interview tactics. My professors were also accessible on a personal level that allowed me to get internships through their connections and help me on a deeper level.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Jeri Rowe. While I did not meet Jeri until the second semester of my senior year, he helped me get the internship that allowed me to produce the clips that helped me get this job. He has been immensely helpful in teaching me about journalism.

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The moment that had the most impact on me at my time at HPU ironically has nothing to do with journalism. That moment occurred when I won the award for ‘Outstanding Paper Overall’ at the 2015 Phi Alpha Theta Regionals Conference in Beaufort, South Carolina. Phi Alpha Theta is a history honors society. This gave me confidence not only in myself, but in my writing as well. I knew it wasn’t news writing, but it was my writing – and if it was good enough to be the best at that conference, it was good enough for me.

Advice for underclassmen: “The best advice I can give underclassmen (particularly journalism students) is to get as many internships and clips as you can while in college. The Campus Chronicle is great for getting some clips, but also try and reach out to the News & Record, YES! Weekly, High Point Enterprise, Rhino Times, and Winston-Salem Journal. Having a variety of clips is vital. But after graduation, take the time to apply to everywhere. If you don’t hear back, be persistent. Be willing to drive to wherever you applied and interview. Let them know you’re coming, even if they haven’t emailed back. Being persistent shows drive and can get you that job. Don’t be discouraged if you don’t hear back immediately or are rejected at a few places. They’re just waiting for you to try harder.