Class of 2015 Outcomes: Rachel Thiets Begins Med School Journey

Name: Rachel Thiets

Hometown: Stillwater, Minnesota

Major: Thiets graduated with a B.S. in Biology, with minors in Chemistry and Spanish, on May 9.

Post-graduation plans: Thiets will attend medical school at the Creighton University School of Medicine in Omaha, Nebraska. At Creighton, she intends to specializing in general surgery or women’s health.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU helped me achieve my goals by giving me mentors and professors who not only constantly pushed me to be a better learner, but also truly cared about my success. I was also able to do hands-on research at the HPU biomechanics lab – I would not have had that kind of opportunity at other schools.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Drs. Nikki Hughes and Kelli Sapp! Dr. Hughes’ enthusiasm toward her field and her students made learning biology genuinely enjoyable for me. And she always encouraged us to be creative, which can be a unique thing to find in a science teacher. Dr. Sapp was my pre-medical advisor, so she helped me navigate through the entire med school application process, and was basically my surrogate therapist whenever I needed some encouragement!

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Joining Alpha Phi Omega, the co-ed service fraternity. APO gave me opportunities to serve the community (locally and abroad) and build life-long friendships with other HPU students who truly want to make a difference in the world. It also allowed me to come out of my shell and develop leadership skills.

Advice for underclassmen: “Get involved! Whether you are a tutor, or play sports, or are in a sorority/fraternity, HPU gives students so many ways to make friends, or be leaders, or just become better versions of themselves. Also, you are never too cool to talk / be friends with your professors.