Class of 2015 Profile: Teressa Trotta Works in DC

Name: Teressa Trotta

Hometown: Virginia Beach, Virginia

Major: Trotta graduated with a B.S.B.A. in Business Administration on May 9.

Post-graduation plans: Trotta accepted a position as a personnel coordinator at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. In her position, Trotta is responsible for processing, monitoring and coordinating key aspects of personnel activities, principally involving student employee recruitment, as well as personnel and payroll transactions for library employees. She also serves as a resource for library employees regarding University and Library Human Resources policies and procedures.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University provided me with many extraordinary opportunities. My senior year, I had the opportunity to gain valuable higher education experience through internships with both the Office of Admissions and the Human Resources Department. These internships reinforced my passion for higher education and confirmed that this career path is the right one for me. High Point truly gave me a well-rounded education and has helped prepare me for my future.

Career & Professional Development is an amazing resource for HPU students. I began working closely with Bridget Holcombe my sophomore year when it came time to finding a summer internship. We started with career basics such as making a LinkedIn account and fixing my resume. Career & Professional Development helped prepare me for interviews, including answering tough questions, what questions to ask and dressing appropriately. Bridget encouraged me to fight for what I am passionate about and to never settle for less. I would encourage all students to take advantage of Career & Professional Development.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Throughout my time at HPU, I have been surrounded by caring faculty and staff. My most impactful mentor would have to be my Admissions supervisor, Meaghan Rabb. I had the amazing opportunity to intern in the Office of Admissions my senior year working closely with Meaghan and the rest of the Admissions team. Not only did I gain experience learning about what Admissions Counselors do behind the scenes, but she organized my schedule so I would work with each department within the Admissions Office. I gained hands-on experience at Admissions events such as Presidential Scholarship weekend, Open House, and Counselor Open House. Meaghan helped me realize my passion for higher education. Most importantly, Meaghan was an extraordinary mentor and I wouldn’t be where I am today without her support and guidance.

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My year abroad (Nicosia, Cyprus Fall 2013 and Gold Coast, Australia Spring 2014) was when I learned the most about myself. I traveled across the world not knowing what to expect or if I would be able to succeed. I met amazing lifelong friends, ate delicious foods and learned about different cultures throughout my journey. My experience abroad helped me strive for success when I returned to the states for my senior year at HPU. I took advantage of all the amazing opportunities that HPU had to offer before it was too late.

Advice for underclassmen: “Take advantage of every opportunity HPU has to offer. Always look to get involved in new activities because you never know who you will meet or what will inspire you. Find your passion and follow it with all your heart. Focus on what makes you happy rather than more money. Call your parents and thank them for everything they do for you!