Student Interns at the District of Columbia Courts

HIGH POINT, N.C., Aug. 17, 2015 – High Point University rising junior Emily Luciano is learning about criminal justice through her summer internship at the District of Columbia Courts.

Luciano, a New Canaan, Connecticut native, resides at George Washington University this summer while working as a junior deputy clerk in the criminal division.

Her responsibilities include managing the front desk and working with attorneys, defendants and the rest of the public daily to provide them with certified court documents.

“This internship has provided me with an immense amount of experience,” says Luciano. “I have loved being able to work in the courts daily and get a greater understanding of not only the system, but the interworking of it as well.”

Luciano credits her success at the District of Columbia Courts to HPU.

“I have been able to apply what I am studying in criminal justice to my work on a daily basis in the courts,” says Luciano. “My studies at HPU and my internship have helped me see how the law and criminal justice work in conjunction with one another. I know the terms and ideas of topics being discussed in front of me, as well as have a greater understanding of the criminal justice system.”

With a major in criminal justice, Luciano plans to pursue a career in crime scene investigation or forensic work for an agency such as the CIA, FBI or Homeland Security following graduation.