Children Explore Space at HPUniverse Day

HIGH POINT, N.C., Sept. 21, 2015 – High Point University’s Department of Physics gave nearly 1,000 members of the community a chance to see what space is like on Sept. 18. Hovercrafts, water bottle rockets and vortex rings – these activities were all a part of HPU’s family-friendly astronomy event, HPUniverse Day. This is the second year that HPU hosted this event.

“Science is my favorite subject in school,” said 10-year-old Lydia Moody. “I loved being able to participate in a lot of different science activities that I have never been able to do. My favorite station was the telescope, because I was able to see a lot of stars and even planets. I can’t wait for the event again next year.”

Each child was given an HPUniverse Day “passport” upon entry and received a stamp at each station they visited throughout the evening. When enough stamps were collected, the passport was redeemed for a prize.

“We are thrilled with the turn-out for HPUniverse Day and look forward to hosting this event every year,” says Dr. Brad Barlow, assistant professor of astrophysics and organizer of the event. “Everyone can relate to astronomy – who hasn’t ever daydreamed about what might exist in the distant corners of the universe. We are happy to provide another opportunity for children in the Triad to discover, continue or expand their love of science and technology.”

There was a “meet and greet” station with the HPU students who participated in the NASA’s Micro-g NExT program and recently returned from the Johnson Space Center. They gave a short presentation about their experience and showed off the “Chip n Ship” device they created.

“HPUniverse Day was one of the most unique experiences I’ve had at HPU,” says Jacob Brooks, HPU student who helped build the “Chip n Ship” device. “While being at the NASA Micro-g NExT booth and the different activities at the event, it amazed me to see how interested the children and their parents were in the different activities and the intelligent questions they asked as a result. It was immeasurably rewarding to see the children’s eyes light up and show interest in science and learning.”