Freshman Profile: A Liberal Arts Education

HPU’s newest cohort of students represents a wide variety of academic achievement, service, backgrounds, cultures and geographic locations. Alex Fundora is one member of the Class of 2019. Discover how his family’s background and his passion for theatre inspired him to pursue a liberal arts education at HPU:

Name: Alex Fundora

Hometown: Alpharetta, Georgia

High school attended: Cambridge High School in Milton, Georgia

Accomplishments: Fundora is a Presidential Scholar at HPU. In high school, he was an honor roll student and received multiple theatre and drama awards including the Outstanding Thespian Award, the Varsity Letter in Drama, the Taking Stage Award and more. On campus at HPU, Fundora is involved in the Film Club, the Six Gents club, the Theatre Department, the Freshmen Student Leadership Team, as well as the Common Experience, QEP and Academic Ad-Hoc Committees.

MajorTheatre Performance and Human Relations

Why you chose HPU: “I chose HPU because of the diversity of the student body and the opportunities for experiential learning. Additionally, HPU President Nido Qubein’s story – how he came to the United States with fifty dollars in his pocket and had no connections – is similar to that of how my dad came to the United States from Cuba in 1962. Over the years, my father as done a lot with his life, such as learn five languages, has five kids, and has owned six Italian restaurants. This is from a man who only had a fifth grade education. The ability of emerging from adversity into abundance is a skill that I believe that both men have in common. Therefore, this is one of the major reasons why I chose HPU.”

What you’re looking forward to at HPU: “I’m looking forward to building connections all around campus with different resources. Also, I am most excited about participating in the theatre department here at HPU.”