High Point Furniture Market is Learning Lab for Students

HIGH POINT, N.C., Oct. 21, 2015 – High Point University students are taking advantage of an opportunity that can’t be found anywhere else than in the city of High Point.

Students majoring in business, interior design, marketing and a number of other fields are working, learning and building industry contacts at the High Point Market. The connections and experiences they are gaining often lead them to launch full-time careers as many HPU graduates have within home furnishings.

HPU business administration majors Tom Parrish and Jackson Allen are working at Classic Home Showroom for market. They recently traveled to Las Vegas with the company while networking and gaining sales experience. The duo has had such a positive impact on the company that both have been offered full-time sales positions following graduation in May.

“We are grateful to have HPU students working in our showroom,” said John Moody, senior vice president of sales for Classic Home. “They have done such a wonderful job and it is a great way for these students to get exposure to many different companies that come to market every year. You can’t get this kind of experience in a classroom.”

Students are also working in the showrooms of major companies like Hooker Furniture, Natuzzi, Century Furniture, Calvin Klein, Designmaster Furniture, Rizzy Home and Texture Imports.

“I am able to apply the knowledge that I have learned in the classroom at High Point University and use it during the week here at market,” said Stuart Swinford, junior visual merchandising major at HPU. “My supervisors here at Hooker Furniture automatically put me right on the floor working with clients and they expect you to know your stuff. HPU has prepared me for this.”

HPU junior Daniella Santo came to HPU because of the exceptional interior design program and the fact that Furniture Market is right around the corner, giving her endless opportunities for the career she wants to pursue.

“The experience itself is unbelievable,” says Daniella Santo, junior interior design major at HPU. “This is my second market that I have worked and my second time working with Rizzy as well. I transferred to High Point University after my freshman year because of the great interior design program they have and the fact that HPU was right in the Furniture Capital of the World. I wouldn’t have that access anywhere else.”

“I have worked at Century Furniture for the past three years and have learned so much,” said Kim Greve, senior interior design major at HPU. “The networking that I have done and the connections that I have made will take me far into my career following graduation, all thanks to my professors at HPU and experience at the furniture market.”