Students Network in New York City with ‘HPU in the City’ Initiative

HIGH POINT, N.C., Nov. 10, 2015 – A new initiative called “HPU in the City” took High Point University students to New York City during fall break to network and build connections that will help them launch future careers.

Through the program, created by HPU’s Office of Career and Professional Development and the Office of Institutional Advancement, students were selected to travel to New York to tour top companies, meet with business leaders and get a glimpse of what working in the Big Apple is like.

“This opportunity was amazing,” said HPU student Lisa Carlson. “It truly allowed me to get an inside feel for different company cultures. The trip as a whole fell right in line with HPU’s values of getting students a hands-on experience in all areas. I now feel more confident as I am looking for a job and I truly understand the field.”

“As the inaugural HPU in the City trip was being planned, I had high hopes because of the caliber of students selected and employers visited,” said Sue Brien, associate director of employer relations in the Office of Career and Professional Development. “This expectation was not only met, but exceeded the goals set when planning the program.”

Fox News, Goldman Sachs, Jordan Edmiston Group Inc., Specialist Staffing Group and Ralph Lauren welcomed the students to tour their facilities and attend round table discussions with key employees of the companies.

“I, alongside several of my team members, met very impressive students from High Point University,” said Wilma Jordan, CEO of Jordan Edmiston Group Inc. “We enjoyed our interaction with them and appreciated their questions.”

“High Point University is fortunate to be able to partner with companies who are willing to open doors for our students to be able to have experiential learning opportunities like HPU in the City,” said Jan Knox, director of family engagement and philanthropy in the Office of Institutional Advancement at HPU. “Watching our students interact and network with executives and employees at top companies was incredibly rewarding.”

In the spring, the HPU in the City initiative will take a group of students to Washington, D.C.