HPU Family Stuffs 1,000 Stockings for Salvation Army

HIGH POINT, N.C., Dec. 15, 2015 – HPU junior Tay Thompson helped stuff some of the 1,000 stockings that were loaded onto a High Point University truck and delivered to the Salvation Army of High Point today.

The Salvation Army’s goal was to fill 1,400 stockings in High Point through their annual Stuff a Stocking campaign. HPU’s gift of 1,000 filled more than 70 percent of that goal. Those stockings will be distributed to children in the community as a way to brighten their Christmas morning.

Thompson finds much personal joy by giving back through the campaign each year. But the end goal she has in mind is always about the child on the receiving end.

“I just hope the children get as excited on Christmas morning when they get their stockings as I am when I am filling the stockings,” she says. “That’s what I always wish for.”

Numerous campus groups came together to reach the final goal. HPU’s Student Government Association filled 300 stockings; HPU Athletics filled more than 100; Greek organizations filled about 100 stockings; and Dr. Brad Barlow’s astronomy class filled 60 stockings – just to name a few.

Members of the Women’s Soccer Team and the Office of Student Life helped load the dozens of boxes holding the stockings onto the truck today, and HPU Campus Enhancement staff made the delivery afterward.

“When I fill the stockings, I always think about what I wanted when I was younger – coloring books, stickers and hair bows,” says Kai-Lin Hernandez, an HPU student and women’s soccer player from Miami. “I hope this campaign shows the kids receiving stockings that they are on someone’s mind. Someone out there is thinking about them and cares for them.”

“Our HPU students initiate so many giving projects,” adds Gail Tuttle, senior vice president for the Office of Student Life. “They embrace the opportunity and values of service and gratitude. We are so proud of our students, faculty and staff for recognizing the needs of the local community and children who may not enjoy Christmas without this program.”