Class of 2016 Profile: Dillon O’Gorman Recruits New Talent

It may be early in the semester, but Commencement will be here before we know it. Many High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2016:

Name: Dillon O’Gorman

Hometown: Canton, Massachusetts

Major: O’Gorman will graduate with a B.A. in History on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: O’Gorman accepted a position as an Associate Recruitment Consultant at Specialist Staffing Group in New York City. In his position, he will search for the most qualified candidates, and manage their full interview and recruitment process. He will also meet directly with managers of hedge funds, banks, and financial software companies to consult on market data.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU has provided me with so many incredible opportunities throughout my four years. For the first three years, I was studying to be a secondary social studies teacher. Those classes taught me how to conduct research, how to motivate people, and how to speak with purpose. This past semester I decided teaching wasn’t the right track for me, and I started the job search process with the help of the Career Services office. I can’t thank everyone in that office enough for all the help they provided me. I wouldn’t have this job if it wasn’t for them.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU, and I’m sure he’d be surprised to hear me say this, would have to be Dr. James Stitt of the History Department. I am now in my third class with him, and other than President Qubein, he has to be one of the most inspiring people I’ve ever spoken with. I’ve never met somebody with so much knowledge about any topic you can think of. He has made an impact on my life by inspiring me to be better than I currently am. I’ve learned from him that there’s always more to learn and new ways to think about things. Spend an hour in a room with him and you’ll understand.

Most impactful moment at HPU: “After leaving the Farmers Market last semester, my friend Christian said he needed to stop by Career Services to pick up an application for HPU in the City. Sue Brien, thankfully, gave me an application as well, and after an application and interview process, I was one of the 10 students chosen to go on this trip to New York. On the trip, we met with five amazing companies to learn about their businesses and discuss their job and internship opportunities. This is where I first met with people from Specialist Staffing Group when they hosted a networking event for us. I owe my job to Sue and the rest of the women involved with the interview process for the HPU in the City program and thank them for choosing me to go on that trip.”

Advice for underclassmen: “If I’ve learned anything here at HPU, it has to be what Dr. Qubein said in his freshman seminar class, and continued to repeat in his speeches throughout my four years here. He says, ‘Your present circumstances don’t determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start.’ I was accepted to HPU as a business administration major, I quickly switched to history with a secondary social studies concentration, and now I’m just a history major with a job offer from an incredible staffing company in New York City following my graduation. I can’t stress enough how important it is to follow your heart and someone on this campus will be there to help you find your way.”