Class of 2016 Outcomes: Michael Heslink Pursues MA in Writing

Recent December graduates of High Point University are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2016:

Name: Michael Heslink

Hometown: Williamsburg, Virginia

Major: Heslink graduated with a B.A. in English Literature, with a minor in Writing, in December.

Post-graduation plans: Heslink will attend graduate school at Carnegie Mellon University to pursue his master’s in writing.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU introduced me to some wonderful individuals that taught me valuable life skills and always encouraged me to pursue my goals. I was extremely fortunate to have friends, professors, and mentors that I could learn from and lean on for support.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor was my advisor, Dr. Matthew Carlson. I am grateful for all of the guidance and wisdom he shared with me. He pushed me to succeed and was always willing to provide assistance.

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Rushing Alpha Phi Omega was the most impactful moment for me at High Point University. Joining this brotherhood gave me the opportunity to learn from students of different backgrounds, while showing how we are all united by the common value of service.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Listen to your professors and go to them for advice. Ask them for career guidance and about post-grad opportunities and they will be happy to share their experiences.”