Class of 2016 Outcomes: Richard Byrd Attends Top Dental School

It may be early in the semester, but Commencement will be here before we know it. Many High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2016:

Name: Richard Byrd

Hometown: Richmond, Virginia

Major: Byrd will graduate with a B.A. in Psychology, with a minor in Biology, on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Byrd will attend dental school at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. The University of Michigan’s School of Dentistry is ranked as the top dental school in the nation and the fourth in the world, according to QS World University Rankings.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU has most importantly taught me about how perseverance and hard work is essential for success even when obstacles come your way.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Coach Jon Torpey is one of the only coaches to give me a chance at playing Division 1 lacrosse and has never given up on me ever since he offered me a spot on the team. I have been extremely blessed to have had the pleasure of calling him ‘coach’ for the past five years. He truly cares about my success and would do anything in his power to help me achieve my goals, and for that I am indebted to him. Coach Torpey has taught me how to become a man. He’s taught me about the importance of toughness, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and most importantly to never take for granted the opportunities that have been presented to you.

What I love most about coach Torpey is that he has this insatiable appetite for success that is contagious to me. He demands the best from me on and off the field, and understands that the key to any success in life is hard work. This idea of hard work is something that he prides himself on and is something that has been passed along to me. Hard work is something I now proud myself on as well, and is something I believe will be crucial in my pursuit of later professions.

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Winning the SoCon championship for lacrosse.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Take pride in wanting to be a hard worker, and don’t lose track of goals you’ve set for yourself.”