Alumna Receives First Place in NC College Media Association Contest

HIGH POINT, N.C., March 4, 2016 – High Point University graduate Cara Sinicropi recently won first place in the North Carolina College Media Association’s annual contest in the non-fiction category. Her piece titled, “The Magnolia,” was published in Apogee Magazine’s spring 2015 issue.

“The piece was initially created as an assignment for Dr. Jacob Paul’s creative non-fiction class, an assignment based on Joan Didion’s writing,” says Sinicropi. “From there, the piece quickly grew from an assignment into a full-fledged essay.”

Dr. Charmaine Cadeau, assistant professor of English at HPU, worked with Sinicropi closely on her non-fiction story.

“Cara has a distinct voice and style,” says Cadeau. “I am proud of her accomplishments, and certain of more to come.”

“I have Dr. Paul and Dr. Cadeau to thank for their constant and honest advice on this piece and on the body of my work,” says Sinicropi. “Throughout my undergraduate career, they challenged the way I thought and went above and beyond a course syllabus to teach me what it means to be a writer. I am thankful to the HPU writing department for helping me grow my craft and for the incredible experiences they gave me.”

Sincropi graduated last spring with a duel degree in Creative Writing and International Relations. She currently works as a brand strategist for Redhype, an ad agency located in Greenville, SC. In her position, she is responsible for developing action plans for brands, media planning and buying, and media relations.

In addition to her work at Redhype, Sincropi pursues entrepreneurial endeavors such as her own fashion and beauty blog. She is also applying to low-residency Masters of Fine Arts programs to further her education.