Class of 2016 Profile: Joseph Taulane Sells for Tom James

It may be early in the semester, but Commencement will be here before we know it. Many High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2016:

Name: Joseph Taulane

Hometown: Garnet Valley, Pennsylvania

Major: Taulane will graduate with a B.S.B.A. in Sales, with a minor in Finance, on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Taulane accepted a position as a Sales Professional at Tom James in New York City. In his position, Taulane will sell custom-made suits to individuals in NYC.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University has provided me with the opportunity to learn from professors who have succeeded in the business world, and who are now focused solely on spreading their wisdom to us students. As a sales major, I have been able to learn and develop high quality sales skills through countless role-plays and highly engaged classroom interactions.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “It was a really tough decision to choose a single academic mentor at High Point. Professor Larry Quinn has been an amazing mentor in my college career with all the help and guidance he has provided to me. The passion, positive energy and excitement that he shows day in and day out inspires me to work harder and harder to achieve the goals I have set for myself. On the lacrosse field, Coach Jon Torpey has been a very significant leader in my life, as he has taught me a ton of skills and life lessons that I will be able to use the rest of my life. His appetite to succeed is incredible and motivates me to chase greatness every day. Along with Professor Quinn and Coach Torpey, Dr. Qubein, Professor Moser, Dr. Sundaram, Professor Pike and the entire Men’s lacrosse coaching staff have also been huge mentors throughout my college years.

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment academically was competing in the National Sales Competition at William Patterson University this past fall through the HPU Sales Club. The competition provided me with real life sales experience, as I studied a certain product and then executed a sales presentation in a high-pressure situation. On the lacrosse field, my most impactful moment (or favorite memory) came last May when our team beat Richmond in double overtime to win the Southern Conference tournament.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Show initiative in the beginning of your college career because there are so many professors and faculty members who are looking to help guide you in the right direction. It is important to try and get internships after your sophomore and junior years, as these will help you find your true passion for your career. Lastly, appreciate everything that this school has to offer, including the beautiful campus and learning environment that Dr. Qubein has established. Take advantage of the opportunities that you have in front of you. High Point truly is an extraordinary place that has enabled me to reach my goal to make a difference and be the best person I can be.”