Greater High Point Food Alliance Hosts Second Food Summit at HPU Community Center

HIGH POINT, N.C., March 21, 2015 – More than 400 community members gathered for the second Food Summit held at the High Point University Community Center March 18 and 19.

At the Food Summit, the Greater High Point Food Alliance (GHPFA) and community members reflected on the progress of last year’s goals and established new goals to make plans to improve food security in the city.

“This year’s Food Summit is vitally important because we are pivoting from our emphasis in the first year of coordinating better food access to an emphasis over the next several years on reducing the demand for food through cooking classes, urban agriculture, food education and other strategies that will help create long-term food security in High Point,” said Dr. Joseph Blosser, assistant professor of religion and philosophy and the Robert G. Culp director of service learning at HPU and member of the GHPFA.

The Food Summit brings together people from all sides: those experiencing food insecurity, non-profits and concerned citizens. This event is an opportunity to create coordinated efforts, learn better ways to serve and identify clear and measurable goals toward improving food insecurity in the greater High Point area.

“This Food Summit has truly changed my life because now I know where I can go to get help when it comes to food as well as learn how to eat properly,” said community member Claudia Shannon. “I am grateful for all of the help and grateful to everyone that is involved in making the Food Summit possible. This is going to have a positive impact on the entire community; it is a blessing for everyone.”

“I love being here and being able to participate in the Food Summit and help out in any way that I can,” said HPU student Jenna Rosenbloom. “I think that this Food Summit is going to bring people together and help people in the community see that there are agencies and organizations in the community that truly want to help them and want to hear their opinions and ideas for how to strengthen the High Point community. I love seeing people come to this and then walk out of here feeling much better about their food situation.”