Class of 2016 Profile: Calla Telzrow Works Toward Microbiology Ph.D.

It may be early in the semester, but Commencement will be here before we know it. Many High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2016:

Name: Calla Telzrow

Hometown: Cleveland, Ohio

Major: Telzrow will graduate with a B.S. in Biology on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Telzrow will attend graduate school through Duke University’s Molecular Genetics and Microbiology Ph.D. program. After earning her Ph.D., Telzrow planss to pursue a career in public health, technical writing or consulting.

How HPU helped you get there: “The small class sizes at HPU have been a crucial component of my education. Many HPU classes utilize a Socratic method of teaching, in which students learn through discussion and/or laboratory exercises. This enables students to develop critical thinking and problem solving skills, which are vital for success in graduate school and the professional realm.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Countless faculty and staff in multiple departments have mentored me throughout my time at HPU; I cannot choose just one. In the chemistry department, Dr. Andrew Wommack encouraged me to become involved in undergraduate research in a discipline outside of my comfort zone. He has challenged me to become a better student, better scientist and better person. In the biology department, Dr. Kelli Sapp has guided me from my first weeks at HPU. She helped me prepare for and apply to graduate school, as well as outside fellowships. She is an essential resource for any student pursuing graduate school. Lastly, Elizabeth Walker, of Career and Professional Development, prepared me for my graduate school interviews and advised me on possible career paths. My success at HPU and beyond is a reflection of the extraordinary faculty and staff at HPU.

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Throughout the summer of 2015, I participated in the Summer Research Program in the Sciences (SuRPS) at HPU. For the culmination of the eight-week research experience, each student presented his/her research to all participating faculty and students. In the midst of my presentation, I realized that graduate school was a feasible goal; SuRPS gave me the confidence to pursue it.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Regardless of your major, become involved in undergraduate research as soon as possible, ideally freshman year. Research enhances writing, public speaking, analytical reading and even relationship-building skills. This experience will elevate you in comparison to other applicants when applying for jobs and graduate school.”