Class of 2016 Outcomes: Christian Garber Sells in Charlotte

With Commencement just around the corner, High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2016:

Name: Christian Garber

Hometown: Cazenovia, New York

Major: Garber will graduate with a B.A. in English Writing, with a minor in English Literature, on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Garber accepted a position a Sales Development Representative at ON24, a webinar marketing company in Charlotte, North Carolina.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU really helped motivate me. During my career here, it always felt like something special was happening that I did not want to miss out on. It helped me form an idea of success, and learn how to achieve it. HPU’s staff, mainly the English department, were always so dedicated to making sure that my classmates and I were on the right pathway to success. Whether that was going over assignments and offering feedback, taking time to help focus on personal and professional development, or just having a genuine conversation, the HPU staff always had my fellow students’ and my best interests in mind. I will forever be thankful for it.

I also used Career & Professional Development all the time – from helping form a professional resume, knowing what companies to look at, to helping form career connections, knowing how to behave in an interview, or even to helping me find a career that might be in my best interest. The whole staff in that department was incredibly resourceful, but especially Eric Melniczek. He was always helping me stay on top of everything. I am very thankful for all the aid he has given me to help me get to where I am now.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “I would really like to list the whole English department here, but if I had to pick one person that would be Dr. Matthew Carlson. He was the person who really encouraged me to become an English major as he stressed to me how the degree could be translated to so many different careers and worlds. His classes were always my favorite, and he always found a way to make things interesting in a way that was different for me (he found a way to incorporate Outkast in 19th century British Romanticism). He is always there for all of his students, and really put them first. He constantly pushed me to be better and work harder. As an advisor, he was always ready to have me come in and discuss a variety of topics. He was the one who really introduced me to the wonderful English department here at HPU.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment was when I decided to become an English major. It not only introduced me to courses I was interested in, but it also helped shape so many things that will be useful to me down the road. It helped me become confident and comfortable presenting or selling my own research and ideas. It helped me understand the importance of giving and receiving constructive criticism. It also helped me become analytical as you’re working through an intense amount of information and text in order to find what the actual meaning and purpose of it is. That also helped me develop a sense of patience. Becoming an English major allowed me to become part of the incredible network that is Sigma Tau Delta as well. I really do encourage more people to pursue the degree, and am excited to see how it continues to progress here at HPU.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Realize the purpose behind everything you do, and realize how you can translate it to the professional world. You will be surprised how you can transform that knowledge in different levels of success. I really encourage everyone one to find a major that they can become invested in.