Class of 2016 Outcomes: Elyse Stoner Accepts Recruiting Position

It may be early in the semester, but Commencement will be here before we know it. Many High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2016:

Name: Elyse Stoner

Hometown: Washington, Pennsylvania

Major: Stoner will graduate with a B.A. in Human Relations, with minors in Psychology and Event Management, on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Stoner accepted a position as an Associate Recruiter at Signature Consultants, an IT staffing firm in Charlotte, North Carolina. In her position, Stoner will identify professional candidates through warm-leads and cold-calling in order to fill open positions for clients.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU prepared me for the future by giving me a well-rounded education as a liberal arts university and a chance to stand out among my peers with a major that is specific to HPU. I also attended the career fair in the fall for class and provided my resume to a few employers I was interested in. I was hired by one of the companies I talked to there, and I don’t think I would have had that opportunity anywhere else.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU is Dr. Phillip Norwood of the Religion and Philosophy Department. Dr. Norwood was my professor for my Religion General Education Requirement during my fall semester of freshman year. He was very easy to approach and talk to about either the course itself or my development as a student. When I realized that I didn’t like my original major, I sat down with Dr. Norwood and discussed my interests and goals and what I was looking to get out of my education. He helped me realize that I am extremely people-oriented and I would thrive as a human relations major.

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment as an HPU student occurred when I received my job offer during winter break. I felt that all of my accomplishments and hard work at HPU had finally paid off. That moment was when I realized that I was prepared for the future and ready to take the next step after graduation.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Take advantage of all the opportunities and services HPU provides, whether it be the Writing Center or Career and Professional Development. They are designed to help you succeed and give you advantages that students at other schools do not have.”