Class of 2016 Profile: Jamie Mehrer Conducts Critical Care Research

With Commencement just around the corner, High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2016:

Name: Jamie Mehrer

Hometown: Apex, North Carolina

Major: Mehrer will graduate with a B.S. in Psychology on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Mehrer accepted a position as a Research Assistant at Moses Cone Memorial Hospital / Wesley Long Hospital and LeBauer Health Care in pulmonary and critical care research. In her position, Mehrer works with specialized doctors in the fast-paced research trials associated with critical care. She works on trials that shape the immediate patterns of critical care – improving quality of life for ICU patients, and providing evidence for innovative therapies for those who need it most. “I go with doctors into patients rooms, am trained in medical research and each trial, and ensure that IRB/FDA/NIH protocols are followed so our research can change lives. It’s really exciting!”

Mehrer also works remotely as a Clinical Research Coordinator for Research Development Institute, based out of California. There, she screens patients for trials, enroll them in trials, and works with the company’s research associates to ensure protocol is followed.

How HPU helped you get there: “I was able to get many research certifications through my classes which put me ahead of any one else looking for jobs. I also was able to complete an in-depth undergraduate research project – which showed me that my passion really lies in research. The level of teaching at HPU is unbelievable, and has prepared me at every turn for the professional world I am now stepping into. I’m so proud to be a HPU student.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Two of my professors have really shaped me into the person I have become through my HPU experience. First, Dr. Gregg Hundt has been my advisor since I came into the psychology program and encouraged me every step of the way, and has helped me at every turn (no matter the question, or what time I had to ask it!). His mentoring enabled me to finish my psych degree requirements in only 1.5 years so I could hold internships. Second, Dr. Kirsten LiBarber gave me all the research skills that have made me a valuable asset to companies. She pushed me to think further, dive deeper into subjects, and really push myself to become a strong female researcher. She was such an amazing teacher.

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Driving onto campus with parents on move in day in 2012, and feeling at home and excited. I looked around and new great things would happen here, and that I would be pushed to be the person I wanted to be.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Where your passion lies, so do your strengths. Follow that passion, no matter how many bumps arise in the road, and realize that if you feel you don’t fit into a mold that you were put, change it. Never let yourself fall into others expectations if you see yourself differently!