Class of 2016 Profile: Jennifer Silva Secures Staffing Position

With Commencement just around the corner, High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2016:

Name: Jennifer Silva

Hometown: Smithfield, Rhode Island

Major: Silva will graduate with a B.A. in Human Relations, with minors in Psychology and Leadership, on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Silva accepted a position an Associate Recruiter at Signature Consultants, an IT staffing firm in Charlotte, North Carolina. In her position, Silva will find candidates to fill available positions through sourcing, phone interviews, in-person interviews and more.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU has helped me get to where I am today in many different ways, but one in particular is the inspiring learning environment. My time in the classroom has really prepared me for the future. Whether it is getting up in front of the class and using my presentation skills while giving a lecture on my research, or sitting in my seat taking notes and paying attention to a lecture on the last chapter of reading that had to be done – I have learned things that are crucial to being successful in and out of the office.

I took advantage of the Career & Professional Development office on many different occasions. The people in Career Services helped me perfect my resume to make sure that it was the best it could be before sending it out to positions that I was applying for. I also used them to help me get an internship my junior year. I went in and discussed what I was looking for, and within a week I was in office interviewing with the company that took me in as an intern, and then hired me on part time for the duration of my time at High Point University.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU is Dr. David Bergen, chair of the Human Relations department. Dr. Bergen has been my advisor since my freshmen year and has been extremely helpful to me ever since. As an advisor, he has not only helped solve one problem after another and assisted me in choosing the best classes each semester, but gets to know each of his students. Dr. Bergen always takes the time to make everyone feel important. And as a professor he makes learning the material enjoyable. Dr. Bergen relates the lessons to how it will be applied in everyday life. I have learned there is always another way to look at a situation and nothing is impossible or unsolvable.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was when I was a Peer Mentor. I was able to act as an example for incoming freshmen classes and help them with their transition. As I know, the transition to college is not always easy for everyone. By sharing my experiences and offering advice and answering questions, I was able to help students who really needed it.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Get involved! I was able to be a part of and enjoy Alpha Chi Omega Sorority, Big Brothers and Big Sisters, Campus Activities Team and Peer Mentor all at the same time. With over 200 clubs there are things on campus that appeal to everyone – and if not, start your own club! Getting involved and being an active member of the HPU community is extremely rewarding in itself and is one of the major keys to being successful at this university. Make time to get involved and give back.