Class of 2016 Profile: Jessica Wallace Attends Law School

With Commencement just around the corner, High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2016:

Name: Jessica Wallace

Hometown: Charlotte, North Carolina

Major: Wallace will graduate with a B.A. in Criminal Justice and a B.S. in Psychology on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Wallace will attend law school at Florida State University in Tallahassee, Florida. After she receives her degree, Wallace aspires to work as a United State Federal Prosecutor.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University allowed me to have access to mentors who got to know me personally, offered me amazing research opportunities, and challenged me intellectually to get me to think outside the box. I don’t think I would have been given the chances to be as successful as I have been without the enrichment of HPU.

I made an appointment with Career & Professional Development to go over my resume to send to law schools as well as review my personal statement. They were invaluable to me and I was able to refine my writing while still expressing my own creativity. My resume-building skills have also greatly improved and I feel confident in my ability to create a professional resume for when I ultimately begin looking for externships and employment during and after law school.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU has been Dr. Scott Ingram in the Criminal Justice Department. I first met Dr. Ingram during my junior year while taking his Criminal Law and Courts and Trials classes. He approached me about the possibility of me attending law school and walked me through the entire process. He has given me the confidence that I will be able to succeed and has presented me with the opportunity to work on research with him for credit which has been an amazing experience. The various classes that I have had with Dr. Ingram have given me the tools (both writing and analytical experience) to do well in law school.

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was when I received my acceptance and scholarship to FSU. I felt as though all of the stress and hard work that I put in for the past four years finally paid off. I felt relief and confidence that I would be able to achieve all of my goals and HPU has helped me get to that point.”

Advice for underclassmen: “I came into HPU as a very quiet and timid student, but if you take advantage of all of the fantastic opportunities that HPU offers, you will expand your mind and also your own confidence. The best advice that I can give is to always work as hard as you can, grow in your own confidence without being close-minded, but leave time to just be yourself.