HPU Rewards Montlieu Academy Students For Hard Work in the Classroom

HIGH POINT, N.C., April 21, 2016 – Montlieu Academy of Technology students that went above and beyond in the classroom this semester enjoyed a Spring Carnival hosted by High Point University today.

Led by HPU’s Volunteer Center, this event has been held annually for seven years and is something that the children at Montlieu look forward to and strive for each year.

“I am so excited to be here today,” said Montlieu Academy of Technology student Ashelynn Alford. “The reason why I was able to come was because I got good grades and was on the honor roll. I have come here many times for this carnival and it is one of the reasons why I work hard to get such good grades.”

“Today, we have brought our honor roll students from Montlieu as a great reward for their hard work,” said Montlieu principal Kim Scott. “For many of our kids, this is their first time ever making honor roll so they are excited to be at HPU for the first time. I continue to enjoy and appreciate the partnership we have with HPU; being here is like being home for us.”

More than 150 students from the elementary school participated in activities such as inflatables, games, crafts and more.

“This is a great experience for these children,” said Anna Ventrone, coordinator of residential services at HPU. “Many of the HPU students have said that the children have come up to them and told them that they want to come to college at High Point University. Just hearing that and being able to have them here on campus makes it a special time for them and for us.”

“It is amazing seeing all of these kids walk into the HPU Slane Student Center with smiling faces,” said Hayley Houston, HPU student and president of the Volunteer Center. “They truly look forward to this all year long. I love that today makes a difference for them.”