Students Work with Top Companies at Furniture Market

HIGH POINT, N.C., April 15, 2016 – As guests from around the globe travel to the city for the High Point Market, High Point University students are working with top furniture companies located in their own backyard to get their showrooms ready for the spring event.

Ranging from interior design, visual merchandising, communications and business majors, students are taking what they have learned at HPU and bringing it to market.

“It is great to be a part of something like this and take what I am doing inside of the classroom and put it into action at market,” said HPU interior design student Amanda Shuford. “I am getting real-world tangible experience by going to a university that is in the furniture capital of the world. Students elsewhere don’t get this opportunity.”

HPU visual merchandising student Nick Bellamy has been interning with Century Furniture since February, working with the company to layout and prepare its showroom for market. Furniture market is a culmination of his hard work coming to a reality.

“I love working for a place like Century that is family owned and family operated,” said Bellamy. “They work great together as a family and in a way, brought me into that family. I have loved working with them hand-in-hand and get to see this showroom go from nothing into something truly amazing.”

Companies such as Bernhardt, Hickory White, Rizzi Home, Vanguard and Calvin Klein are able to work with HPU students to help them not only grow and learn, but allow them be a huge asset to the company during their busiest time of the year.

“These students eject a level of excitement that we really enjoy,” said Steven Pilgrim, vice president of sales for Bernhardt. “They have been very quick to catch on and learn everything that they need to for market. This is such an important time for us; the students are able to not only see what it is all about, but they are actually able to work with customers on their own and make sales. It is extremely beneficial for us.”

“I have met so many people through this and have made many connections that are going to launch me into my career after graduation,” said HPU visual merchandising student Annie Redovian. “I am only a sophomore, so I have two more years to see, learn and find out what it takes to be a part of a top furniture company.”