Class of 2016 Profile: Elizabeth Ezzell Goes to Graduate School

Name: Elizabeth Ezzell

Hometown: Charlotte, North Carolina

Major: Ezzell graduated with a B.S. in Psychology, with a minor in English Writing, on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Ezzell will pursue her master’s degree in Clinical Research Methods at Fordham University in Bronx, New York.

How HPU helped you get there: “Prior to coming to HPU, I’d lost some confidence in my academic ability and from day one the professors and faculty began building it back up through their belief in me. Because of the small class sizes, I never felt that my voice was unheard or my questions were unanswered, and many of my professors encouraged the voicing of my ideas by making class more of a conversation than a lecture. Without the confidence in myself that nurtured, I’m not sure I would have done as well in my classes or be as prepared as I am for the future.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “It’s difficult for me to pick one person at HPU; professors across campus have had a lasting impression on me, and every professor I’ve interacted with in the Psychology Department has had a significant part in getting me where I am today. Dr. Gregg Hundt introduced me to stats, which I never thought I would enjoy, and encouraged me to become a tutor, which was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Dr. Deborah Danzis introduced me to research, which again I never thought I’d enjoy, and encouraged me to go outside my comfort zone and get an internship in Washington, D.C. Finally, Dr. Christopher Lootens has mentored me through two years of research and was an amazing guide through the grad school process.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The most impactful moment for me was my internship through High Point Washington/The Washington Center. Spending a semester in Washington, D.C. interning full time with the Public Defender Service: Mental Health Division solidified my desire to work as a clinical psychologist, and the population I’d like to work with by teaching me more about forensic psychology and mental health law. It also gave me the opportunity to meet undergrads, grad students and professionals with similar interests and goals as my own, whom I would not have had another opportunity to meet.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Take advantage of the variety of classes offered at HPU early – you might discover an interest you never had, or a skill you want to cultivate, or you might just enjoy what you learn for that semester. This will likely be the last opportunity you get to explore something outside your career interests, so go ahead, learn.