Class of 2016 Outcomes: Emmy Pearl Joins BB&T Leadership Program

With Commencement just around the corner, High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2016:

Name: Emmy Pearl

Hometown: Lebanon, Tennessee

Major: Pearl will graduate with a B.S. in Actuarial Science, with minors in Math, Finance, Statistics and Theatre, on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Pearl accepted a position as a Leadership Associate for BB&T in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. She was also recently inducted into the Order of the Lighted Lamp.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU has given me countless experiences that has distinguished me from other applicants. I had interview experience from the Ambassador program, I was prepared with stellar people skills from my position with Campus Concierge, and I had the knowledge and experience because of my classes and work being the Social Media and Website Analyst in the Office of Communications. My parents provided me with the opportunity of going to this great university, but it was the university that provided me with incredible opportunities such as the position I have now.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “I have been blessed with two professors that have mentored me through my job selection. Dr. Ron Lamb and Professor George Noxon have been instrumental in my success at HPU. They have constantly pushed me intellectually, but supported me through the stress of balancing my academics and extracurricular activities. Not only that, but they have truly gotten to know me as an individual to truly assess what the best course of action for my future is.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The moment that I will never forget would be the day that I became a ‘mom’ in my sorority. We are the only organization to refer to our ‘bigs’ as ‘moms,’ and my family has been an unwavering source of encouragement. I am so proud of the family I have built here. They are the ones that I have turned to to talk about everything, especially my career. I owe a major portion of my success to their positive attitudes and their influence on me as a person.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Be optimistic. HPU has never told me that I cannot do something that I am passionate about, and you shouldn’t deny yourself that shot at success either. This is an institution that will support your decisions, ambitions and ideas, so embrace that! You are here for a reason. High Point University believes in your potential, and you should too.