Class of 2016 Profile: Erin Monahan Pursues Ph.D.

Recent December graduates of High Point University are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2016:

Name: Erin Monahan

Hometown: Salisbury, Maryland

Major: Monahan will graduate with a B.S. in Psychology, with a minor in Sociology, on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Monahan is pursuing her Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology with an emphasis in trauma at Palo Alto University in California. After she receives her doctorate degree, Monahan plans to pursue a career as a military psychologist with the Navy.

How HPU helped you get there: “The great part about HPU is the low student-to-faculty ratio. With smaller class sizes, it is easier to get to know students and professors on a deeper level.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Junior and senior year, I took several classes with Dr. Christopher Lootens in the psychology department. Having multiple classes with him really gave me time to get to know him and vice versa. This made him a huge help when making decisions about graduate school. The past fall semester, he was always there to answer my questions, give me advice or just to see how the application process was going.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The most impactful moment was seeing all my hard work I had put into class pay off by being able to present my research at SNCURS, which was held at HPU this year, and seeing that my dedication to my undergraduate work helped me get into a Ph.D. program.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Get to know the faculty in your major as soon as possible. Becoming closer with these key faculty can help shape your experience while at HPU and after as well.