Class of 2016 Profile: Jessica Jones Manages Travel for Top Food Company

With another successful commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary graduate from the Class of 2016:

Name: Jessica Jones

Hometown: Charlotte, North Carolina

Major: Jones graduated with an M.A. in Strategic Communication on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Jones accepted a position as a Travel and Recognition Specialist at Snyder’s-Lance, the second largest salty snack maker in the United States, in Charlotte, North Carolina. In her position, Jones manages all travel for the company, plans conferences and events, and coordinates employee recognition incentives.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU taught me perseverance and to not be scared to take a chance. The graduate program definitely pushed my comfort levels of what I thought I could do as a student and helped me exceed it. I was able to take that same mentality and transfer them to my professional career. I’ve learned not to let a challenge overwhelm me to just make a plan and go for it. I also had never taken analytics class before attending HPU. The knowledge on how to analyze situations and have quantitate and qualitative data to support your findings has helped me be successful obtaining this new career.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “The graduate communications program had great professional development sessions that showcased current trends or professional techniques that communication professionals should know. I loved the event planning training that highlighted what is needed to throw an amazing event and that communication is a major portion of what makes an event successful.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “One semester while still taking classes, I completed a full-time internship with the Charlotte Bobcats, a.k.a the Charlotte Hornets. This opportunity gave me hands-on experience working directly with professional athletes and the media while also making me learn how to manage and prioritize my time. During this experience I got to work with some of the basketball greats: Michael Jordan, Dale Curry, Larry Brown, etc. I also had to make a presentation in front of the company’s executive board. The skills that I learned in class helped me present with confidence and ease and they are now using some of those ideas.”

Advice for underclassmen: “After you graduate, remember to stay encouraged and shoot for the moon. Finding a job is a difficult process but you have to stay motivated and be confident that you have received an amazing degree and the knowledge you have will make any company more successful. Also, don’t be afraid to apply to jobs that you don’t meet all the qualifications for. If you can show that you are up for the challenge of learning and growing in your cover letter it may help open the door for you. Continue to set the bar high and eventually you will meet your goals!