Class of 2016 Profile: Jimmy Rager Jumps into Career at Johns Hopkins

With Commencement just around the corner, High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2016:

Name: Jimmy Rager

Hometown: Laurel, Maryland

Major: Rager will graduate with a B.S. in Biology, with a concentration in Cellular/Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Rager accepted a position as an Immunogenetic Technologist for Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in Baltimore, Maryland. In his position, Rager will work in the hospital’s clinical lab, doing compatibility testing for organ transplant donors and recipients.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University has been amazing in helping me achieve me goals. From the very beginning, I have had support in the classroom and that really solidified what I wanted to do in life. I have loved and taken advantage of the small class sizes here at High Point, which really allowed me to create special relationships with some of my professors. I’ve learned that these relationships can go a long way. Additionally, participating in undergraduate research is something that has given me skills that have allowed me to be successful. Research requires complex analytical thought and problem solving skills, increases scientific presentation and writing skills, and it put me ahead of other applicants in the job application process.

Last semester, I worked with Elizabeth in Career & Professional Development to create a cover letter and resume for my job search. She was amazing in every sense of the word and had great advice for the job application process. I owe a lot of my success to her.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “While I have had several mentors who have impacted me throughout my years at High Point, Dr. Neil Coffield is the one that stands out the most. I have done research under Dr. Coffield for two years, had him as a professor for three different classes, and he has been my faculty advisor for all four years. He has real-world experience in the pharmaceutical/biomedical industry and I am so fortunate for his unconditional support and knowledge over the past four years. He is not only a great professor, but also a truly awesome guy who I have been lucky to cross paths with.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The most impactful moment that I have had at HPU was being selected as a University Ambassador at the end of my freshman year. The University Ambassador program is a competitive and prestigious program in which students function as tour guides, work special events and represent the institution. Becoming an ambassador has taught me communication skills that I have utilized in innumerable professional settings that I will take long beyond my years at High Point.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Without a doubt, grades and your GPA are important, but the most important skill that I have learned in college is the ability to market yourself and make and utilize connections. Don’t be scared to step out of your comfort zone. ‘If you want something you’ve never had, then you’ve got to do something that you’ve never done.’