Class of 2016 Outcomes: Kaitlin Thompson Works for Klaussner

Name: Kaitlin Thompson

Hometown: Asheboro, North Carolina

Major: Thompson graduated with a B.S. in Home Furnishings and a B.S.B.A. in Marketing on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Thompson accepted a position in e-commerce sales with Klaussner Home Furnishings. In her positon, Thompson will work closely with the company’s Director of Internet Sales to nurture and promote e-commerce sales through relationship management.

How HPU helped you get there: “Being at HPU, in the heart of the furniture capital of the world, provided instant access to the furniture industry and the High Point Furniture Market. Without the industry connections and experience of the HPU staff, I would not have had the opportunities I have been so richly afforded. Time and time again my professors went above and beyond by introducing me to business leaders in the furniture and marketing industries. HPU is so deeply rooted in the home furnishings industry and the networking I have been exposed to allowed me to make valuable connections that will benefit me for the rest of my career.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “From the moment I walked into Dr. Richard Bennington’s office in 2012, he has been more than just a mentor to me. His experience in the home furnishings industry is unmatched and invaluable. He has consistently provided sound advice as well as introduced me to many furniture industry leaders. I will always cherish Dr. Bennington’s guidance and motivation to be the best version of myself I can be.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “In 2014 I was awarded the Celia Moh Scholarship. I was so humbled to receive such a prestigious award. Just recently, I was honored with the 2016 HPU Haverty Cup. To be recognized by HPU staff and industry leaders for outstanding accomplishment is more than I could ever hope for. It gives me confidence knowing I will be part of an amazing industry and future in home furnishings.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Never stop challenging yourself and never stop setting goals. HPU provides a standard of excellence to which we should always strive to achieve and exceed. If you ever think you’ve reached the top, then you aren’t aiming high enough. There are always new levels to reach for – and that is what should always propel you forward. HPU has a plethora of resources and industry connections available to help further your career at HPU and beyond. As we tap into those resources, we become an extension of the knowledge and experience of HPU.