Class of 2016 Outcomes: Mary Kyner Attends Seminary at Princeton

Name: Mary Kyner

Hometown: Cumberland, Virginia

Major: Kyner graduated with a B.A. in Religion, with a minor in Women’s and Gender Studies, on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Kyner will pursue a Master of Divinity at Princeton Theological Seminary in Princeton, New Jersey. After she receives her master’s, Kyner plans to pursue a Ph.D. and become a professor of biblical studies.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University has been amazing to help me determine my passions and foster my love for education. Having such small class sizes have allowed me to form lasting relationships with my professors, who in turn have helped me improve as both a student and a person. Career & Professional Development was very useful when I was working on my graduate school applications. They helped me create and shape my resume and essays to present my best accomplishments from HPU.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU has definitely been Dr. Robert Moses. He has challenged me to become a better student and person and made learning as engaging and interesting as it could possibly be.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at High Point University has to be when I had the opportunity to make a video about the importance of a religion degree for a class. My classmates and I were able to really consider why we became religion majors and to hear from numerous faculty and administration, including Dr. Qubein and Dr. Carroll, about why understanding and studying religion is so important. It really helped center me and reassure me of my career choices and why I chose this amazing institution.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Don’t be afraid to branch out. Classes are important, but don’t be so concerned with the letter grade that you get that you miss actually learning something in the class. Education is about way more than just grades, and the way our curriculum is set up, you have the opportunity to learn about subjects you may never be able to really study again. Don’t be so stressed out about messing up your GPA that you forget that a well-rounded education helps so much in being able to engage and interact with other people in a more profound way.