Class of 2016 Outcomes: Nick Pierle Begins Journey to Music Conductor

Name: Nick Pierle

Hometown: Waxhaw, North Carolina

Major: Pierle graduated with a B.A. in Music, with a concentration in Vocal Performance, on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Pierle will attend graduate school for his Masters of Music in Choral Conducting at East Carolina University in Greenville, North Carolina. After he receives his degree, he hopes to hopes to become the Chair of Choral Activities at the collegiate level. This summer, Pierle will also work with the Miami Music Festival (MMF) Conducting Institute. There, he will work with musicians from around the world through classes, rehearsals and performances that focus on different challenges a conductor may encounter.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU helped me get to where I am now through the HPU Chamber Singers and other university choirs. Dr. Marc Foster has been my choir director and mentor for my four years at HPU. Dr. Foster has helped shape my conducting abilities and find a leadership style that is unique to me. Dr. Foster and the Chamber Singers played a crucial role in my acceptance to both ECU and MMF because I recorded my conducting audition video with the Chamber Singers. Before every performance, Dr. Foster says, ‘Here at High Point University, we believe in the power of music to transform the lives of many and it begins with you.’ This quote has impacted where I am now because I believe that I will be able to impact the lives of many through music as I continue to develop my conducting skills at MMF and ECU.

I also used the Career & Professional Development office to help build a LinkedIn profile and resume, and returned to the office to make improvements to both. This office helped me to get on my feet and begin the networking process.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “The most impactful mentor that I have had at HPU is Dr. Scott MacLeod, a faculty member of the Music Department. I have studied voice with him for 1.5 years, and he has helped me enhance my vocal technique. Besides being a vocal coach, he has taught me many life lessons and has been someone who I can talk to about anything. Dr. MacLeod will be a life-long mentor and friend after graduation.

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The most impactful moment for me at HPU was my trip abroad to Prague, Czech Republic. The trip was lead by Dr. Scott MacLeod, and we studied the history of Czech music as well the the history and performance and production of opera. Being immersed in a culture that is driven by the arts, especially music, allowed for me to find a deeper understanding and a personal connection with the music I perform.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Stay true to yourself. It is a challenge to not give in to peer pressure, but people notice when you remain true to your beliefs and values.