Class of 2016 Outcomes: Rebecca Dornan Seeks Clinical Counseling Career

With Commencement just around the corner, High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2016:

Name: Rebecca Dornan

Hometown: Vero Beach, Florida

Major: Dornan will graduate with a B.S. in Psychology, with a minor in Business Administration, on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Dornan will attend graduate school for Clinical Mental Health Counseling at Rollins College in Winter Park, Florida. After she receives her master’s degree, Dornan will pursue an advanced degree in either physician assistants or clinical psychology. She hopes to work in a mental health hospital to counsel patients.

How HPU helped you get there: “Along with my classes at HPU, my professors have really helped me throughout my undergraduate studies. The entire psychology department has been there to support me, as well as guide me into what I wanted to do after graduation. Unlike other universities, I gained experience in the research field from my research methods class and my independent study on the Stigma of Schizophrenia Among College Aged Students. In addition to the research I was able to be part of, I received experience in the clinical counseling realm through my two internships at Mental Health Association and Oak Ridge Military Academy. I was able to assist the counseling teams at both internship sites. During my application process, almost all the graduate schools I applied to were impressed with the amount of experience that HPU was able to provide me with.

Career and Professional Development has also been a great resource for me at HPU. I worked with Elizabeth Walker who guided me through the whole graduate application process. I still remember first walking into her office and feeling overwhelmed about the entire application process. Elizabeth was instrumental in helping me prepare my personal statement and curriculum vita. We worked together to make sure my application would stand out.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Two amazing people at HPU have helped me achieve my goals and guide me throughout my research, internship and graduate school process. Dr. Kirsten Li-Barber and Dr. Christopher Lootens have been incredibly instrumental in helping me not only learn, but providing me with advice and experience that made me stand out in a pool of applicants for graduate school. They helped me decide what field of psychology I wanted to pursue. Without them, I would not be where I am today.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was my internship at the Mental Health Association of the Triad, which Dr. Lootens connected me with. This internship really sealed my decision that I wanted to become a mental health counselor. I loved working with the clients and staff, and learned as much as I could about what goes into a typical day for a mental health counselor. Not only did I learn at this internship; I was also able to meet many amazing individuals, and hear their life stories and how they got to where they are today.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Seek out advice or help from your professors. Here at HPU, our professors go above and beyond to help their students achieve their goals and be prepared for their careers after HPU. My professors truly helped me succeed in anything I wanted to do and gave me amazing opportunities that would not be possible at other universities.