Class of 2016 Profile: Brian Hagan Secures Position with Logistics Company

Brian Hagan 3Name: Brian Hagan

Hometown: West Long Branch, New Jersey

Major: Hagan graduated with a B.S.B.A. in Business Administration on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Hagan accepted a position as a Sales Executive at C.H. Robinson Worldwide, a Fortune 250 third party logistics company, in High Point. In his position, Hagan secures client contracts to provide transportation solutions for companies around the Piedmont and nation. Hagan is also pursuing his master’s degree in Strategic Communication through HPU’s B.A. to M.A. program.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU truly prepared me for the real world and real-world interactions. C.H. Robinson is a very old and well-respected company. When I walked in to their beautiful office with employees all older than me, I wasn’t fazed. Being in buildings as magnificent as Cottrell and Wilson on a day-to-day basis, whether for class or a meeting, prepared me to not be intimidated by a setting like this. I truly believe my time at HPU set me up for success in this role. Without it, I would have never gained the experience I have now.

I knew I wanted to go in to sales, and the Career and Professional Development center helped me with that greatly. The tools I was able to utilize in Cottrell through them my senior year are invaluable and truly gave me a leg up over my competition post-grad.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “I have wonderful relationships with many of HPU’s faculty and staff, but I attribute my recent success majorly to Randy Moser. I met Moser in my final semester of my undergraduate career for the first time in a sales class I decided to take. In a time when I had lost a lot of hope and was very discouraged, Moser believed in me and helped me realize my full potential. He motivated me be the best student I could be, and helped be discover my love for sales. His knowledge and network within professional sales is truly immeasurable, and he bestows that upon his students in every way that he can. He’s a true testament to the caring and inspiring nature that HPU harbors both inside and outside of the classroom.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “At the end of my junior year, High Point’s family suffered the loss of a beloved friend and brother of mine. On very short notice, HPU organized a beautiful service and memorial for Mario Mayorga. Despite it being finals time and the end of the school year, more people attended the service for Mario than anyone could have possibly fathomed. The Hayworth Chapel could not even accommodate the number of people who came to pay tribute. A lot of people knew Mario closely or were just acquaintances, but there were so many people who had never even met him and simply felt the calling to attend and support the rest of the HPU family during that time of pain. Among all of my experiences at HPU, nothing stands out more to me than strength of our community during that time.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Don’t take no for an answer, from anyone or anything. Adversity happens and it comes in all shapes and sizes. If you have a goal and you want to achieve it, fight for it and never quit regardless of what life throws your way. These 4 years at HPU really do fly by. Stay true to your family, your friends, and most importantly yourself. The rest will work itself out.”