Class of 2016 Outcomes: Carly Delengowski Joins the CW Crew

Name: Carly Delengowski

Hometown: Mount Laurel, New Jersey

Major: Delengowski graduated with a B.A. in Communication, with a concentration in Electronic Media and a minor in Women’s and Gender Studies, on May 7.

Delengowski conducts an interview for the CW 22

Delengowski conducts an interview for the CW

Post-graduation plans: Delengowski accepted a position as a Multimedia Journalist for the CW 22 in Raleigh, North Carolina. In her position, Delengowski develops video ideas, engages with the community, brainstorms interesting stories, and works in front of the camera as the “face” of the TV station.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU really helped me prepare for post-graduation life. I worked closely with many professors in the School of Communication who gave me great knowledge and practice to succeed in the media industry. You could always find me in the ‘mock’ news room on the first floor of COMM and now I’m in a real one.

I started sending out applications left and right the winter of my senior year. I had a lot of anxiety about graduation and not knowing the next step. Doug from Career Services helped calm me down and breathe throughout the process. He practiced with me for when I got interviews and discussed important decisions I had to make.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “I took Video Practicum my junior year. My professor was Martin Yount and he became a very important person in my life. During that class, he really helped me improve my video skills and give me the confidence I needed for shoots. He became a mentor to me and our friendship continued. He always gave me advice I needed on edits, filming or just life. He cheered me on throughout school and his office was a safe place where I got to share my ideas and talk about Star Wars.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Picking up my minor was a huge part of my time at HPU. The women’s and gender studies program is so close-knit and welcoming. I had a whole new family and through my time with WGS learned more than I could ever imagine. It changed my life and gave me a whole different perspective.

Through WGS, I got the chance to do multiple service learning opportunities. I worked at the YWCA and Learning Together, each for a semester. Building a relationship with the people in our community was super impactful. It taught me not to take things for granted, and that I loved making a difference in others’ lives.

My time as a peer mentor was very impactful as well. The relationship I built with my 2015-16 group was awesome. They made me feel like I was doing something meaningful and important.”

Advice for underclassmen: “During my time at HPU, I was so involved. I was a peer mentor, worked as a tutor and captionist for Disability Support, a member of Alpha Chi Omega, president of Her Campus and tried out numerous other activities. Be an active part of High Point University. You’ll learn what you like to do and want to do. Plus, you’ll meet people like you and make connections that could help you later on. Know that everything will work out. It can be scary and confusing at times but life has a funny way of working out. I’m exactly where I was meant to be. Que sera, sera.