Class of 2016 Outcomes: Chris Grabert Begins Journey to English Professor

Name: Chris Grabert

Hometown: Sewell, New Jersey

Major: Grabert graduated with a B.A. in English Writing, with a minor in Communication, on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Grabert will pursue his master’s in Rhetoric and Composition at the University of Central Florida in Orlando. After he receives his master’s degree, Grabert plans to pursue his doctorate and teach at the collegiate level.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University really facilitated my growth as a student in my four years here. I think the two most helpful aspects of a High Point education are small class sizes and passionate professors. Even as a freshman, I received individual attention in the classroom in all of my courses. Having willing, accessible teachers is truly what made it possible for me to succeed here at HPU.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Matthew Carlson. Dr. Carlson, along with being an awesome literature professor, was with me every step of the way through my graduate school search. On his own time, he helped me evaluate programs, prepare my writing samples and applications, and make my final decision. I would also like to acknowledge Dr. Kirstin Squint, who was a fantastic advisor and helped me on my grad school journey. These two have shown me what competent, dedicated professors look like, and I can only hope to follow in their footsteps in my career.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Some Monday this past February, I was struggling to find the motivation to get out of bed for my morning English class. I’d had perfect attendance for the course thus far, and I was debating silencing my alarm and skipping for the day. But then I reminded myself that I had applied to graduate schools, and if I want to take my education to the next level, I should have the work ethic of someone who belongs there. I made it on time to class, despite having smashed the ‘snooze button’ multiple times. As class ended, I received an email from UCF, accepting me to their program.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Use your time in college to figure out what works best for you. You’ll get a million pieces of advice from a million different people, but in the end, everyone has their own journey. Develop your own identity as a student. Find out if you work better in the morning or at night, in groups or individually, in a quiet space or with some music. And save room for fun!